Short AAR - AK-47 Republic

 Mark came over Saturday to learn AK-47 Republic. I put together two force lists for my Litumsian belligerents - the The WPA (Workers' Party Army) of President for Life Johnson and MCC (Militia Campaign for the New Congress) communist rebels. Mark chose the MCC force and we set up. 

My got two units to begin the game - I put my PT-76es on the large bridge objective and a unit of infantry, towed artillery and an armored car in the village towards the upper right. The MCC started with a huge unit of militia, an armored squadron and a smaller infantry unit.


Early on, the big MCC militia company pushed towards the village by the river. I had some guns and infantry defending. Mark's hope that his C-in-C and numbers would help him get past the firepower was misplaced and after a few minutes of firing, the large group of rebels quit the field. They did however eliminate my field and AA guns.

I received reinforcements early on - two platoons of infantry. One arrived right behind the MCC attackers


The other unit arrived from the opposite side to take the wooden bridge.

In the middle, the armored units clashed.


It got ugly very quickly.


Mark's mobile reserve arrive - lots of jeep-mounted infantry supported by two mounted recoilless rifles.

They moved towards the wooden bridge. I was feeling pretty good about securing that position just before. The two machine guns were in a great position!

I abandoned the village to go put pressure on Mark's troops still moving around on the right. My unit of reinforcements was having a tough time and the vehicles' HMGs would right the ship, or so I hoped...

Then of course the MCC Navy arrives. Curses. Those boats were carrying troops and aimed to capture the village.

Meanwhile, the armored units continued tearing into each other.


Over by the wooden bridge, the MCC unit rushed forward and exchanged fire with my platoon. It was a bloodbath! My troops hammered the jeeps and infantry. I received a timely artillery barrage that went a long way to ending that troop.

 
 
 My remaining tank in the center fled and Mark's two M-46es took over the dominating central position. He sent infantry across the rail bridge towards the village.

I was able to rush my APC back to the village and dismount the troops before the boats arrived. To my delight, my final reinforcement unit arrived so they of course headed towards the village as well.

In the last bit of firing before sunset, the government forces were able to wreck an insurgent attack boat! The terrorists within were able to make it to shore.

As the sun went down, the forces retreated for the night.

At the end of the day, it was a hard fought draw. I was the victor by a very slight margin but any win by less than 5 points in AK47R is a draw. Mark had a terrible first 45 minutes with what is a new game for him - losing a huge unit, poor movement rolls, you name it. In the end, it turned out in his favor as all those slow movers acted more like a reserve force. I was happy with how my troops performed and it's nice to get off the schneid - I've had a long losing streak in AK47R.
 
AK-47 Republic - still one of the best tabletop wargames ever conceived.

Comments

  1. Excellent..love the special effects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Seems like the time is close for another offensive.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts