Finally Malifaux

Malifaux 3rd edition was released a couple of weeks ago and after a review of the rule book, I was able to convince my bride to give it a try. Actually, it didn't take a lot of convincing; she's a fan of the creepy and weird so the Malifaux aesthetic is right in her wheelhouse.

Being a "first game," I kept things very small - three identical minis per side - all shlubs, no leaders or characters with loads of special abilities.

We played on a 2' x 2' board I recently made. A little scenery and we were good to go! I had three Guild Witchling Stalkers and my wife used three spirits known as "Sorrows."

The Sorrows were rather frustrating once they got close - they sap nearby enemies of their life energy and regain health when they do it. Case in point - that poor Stalker surrounded by three purple ghosts is HOSED. 

But revenge isn't far off... my Stalkers burst into flame when they die. The Sorrows were whittled down almost as quickly as my heroic ghost busters.

But in the end, fortune smiled upon the creepy and my last Stalker fell. The spook slunk back off to the crypt.

I enjoyed it. More importantly, so did Wifey. There will certainly be more Malifaux in our future. We have been watching Supernatural for the last few years and the "monster hunter" situation of the game was quite reminiscent of Sam and Dean duking it out with some nasties in our show. I liked the card mechanics, as much as I am a fan of dice. Card hand management is a big deal, even in a game this small - in a more normal-sized game I imagine it becomes paramount.

Comments

Popular Posts