04 April 2016

Family Field Trip Saturday!

On Saturday the family and I went out to the Mighty 8th Air Force Museum in Pooler, GA, and then out to Travis Field, home of the 165th Tactical Airlift Wing. It turned out to be a terrific day of history and airplanes.

First stop, the Mighty 8th...

My bride in the atrium
 Child-sized bomb



1/72 airfield. I want to game on this!
Their pride and joy
 B-47 goodness


 Some neat stained glass in the chapel
 There are many of these memorials in the gardens. They tend to be rather attractive.



Truly sad
A very inspirational chess set


And then, on to family day at Travis Field...

 Louisiana sent some Eagles with cool tail flashes.

A B-52 from Minot, North Dakota was in town. Looks like they may have been busy recently with those markings.

My youngest at the controls of a MC-130 spec ops Herc

Ziggy in his work clothes, Bride, Junior and Curly

A dead-sexy T-38 traier
My far the best-painted aircraft, a Seahawk from the Airwolves down in Jacksonville.


Now THAT'S tail art!

Oh heck yes.
The Viper. Not sure if I like it or the T-38/F-5 more. The T-38 has that awesome coke-bottle waist.

Go Fasta!
We had a terrific time and even got a bit sunburned hanging out on the tarmac in the afternoon. We got to watch a Harrier do a slow-mo flyby including the requisite hover, turn, and bow. We took a quick ride up and back on the tarmac in a Polaris MRZR4 (I got to work the machine-gun). The best thing though - my kids seemed to gain an appreciation for our military. The movies at the Mighty 8th actually shut them up for a few minutes and made them think. If you're ever down this way, it's certainly worth the visit.

1 comment:

  1. Great tour. I think the human touch of the POW made Chess set is perhaps my favorite, though!

    ReplyDelete

Tis The Season

 The season of the witch, that is. I'm on another tangent right now and have dipped my toe back in the 1/72 pool. The models are from Re...