30 January 2017

Just an Update

I haven't done much gamey stuff in the last week or so. Last weekend my 9-year old and I went camping, but Sunday I made some significant progress on the racetrack for my Gnomecon game - Rubber and Lead.

That's 2 48" X 24" sheets of MDF. I've learned that a regularly-shaped track (oval, rectangle) is easily abused by wily drivers. The odd shape of this track should encourage a bit more "driving" for a car that gets way out in the lead. We shall see. The green area way covered with carpenter's glue and beach sand, then two coats of spray paint. It'll scrape a knuckle if you're not careful!

I hope to have a good playtest session this weekend with four drivers. The game has been rock solid so far, but I'm going to add in nitrous oxidefor a couple of the less well-armed cars to give them a "boost."

I also made some fun nitrous counters...

They're essentially decoupages on 15 x 40mm 3mm plywood bases. Hooray ModPodge!


I also got some goodies in the mail today for my 15mm Robot Army
They're robotic hover tanks. I think they'll also be troop transports for the little hover bots for that extra scoop of annoyance.

Be well and have a good week!

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious to know gameplay mechanisms. From your previous post the game encompass many items it seems! I remember Axes and Alloys, the rules are nice but it's more of a destruction dearby game than a race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It uses movement templates, similar to X-wing. As long as the players concentrate on driving counter-clockwise it plays beautifully. We thought about making a figure-8 track, but rational thought prevailed. Importantly, R&L feels like a race when you're playing it - it moves quickly and all the players stay engaged.

      Delete

Tis The Season

 The season of the witch, that is. I'm on another tangent right now and have dipped my toe back in the 1/72 pool. The models are from Re...