Blooding and Plundering

Like a bridge over troubled water...

 The Blood and Plunder minis finally made it onto the game table last Sunday! Mark brought his pirates over and I fielded my Frenchies. We played a Breakthrough scenario and it was decided that I would be the attacker.

Our battlefield. I was pleasantly surprised by how much Caribbean decor I could put out! I wish I had a few more of those buildings.

The deployment. I went heavy on the left with two eight-man units and two four-man groups on the right. The vile pirate commander had four 6-man units of suspiciously good quality. My goal was to move units into the enemy deployment area which in this case was 18" deep from his board edge.

Early on I start pushing units up the right side to encourage Mark to react. My Boucaniers quickly move into the trees behind the building.

Meanwhile the Filbustiers and Militia grind up the left side, slowly through the jungle they go....

And the Marins run forward and take cover amongst the barrels and crates. They're close-quarters fighters without muskets and need to get close to be a threat.

My unfortunate Bucs start getting pelted by the ghostly Freebooters.

The Marins take cover in the house.

And in short order, my right flank is a sad memory! Poor Bucs...

The Militia continue to push forward - I've got to make some progress toward my objective! The Filis have taken up a position to their right on the rise and prepare to fire at the pirates in the distance.

As the Militia continue to run forward, shielded by the trees, the Filis let loose a volley at the pirates dead ahead (marked by the white die) and take out three! What a tremendous example of long-ranged shooting!

I've got that flanking feeling as a group of pirates gets up behind the wall to the left and begins firing at my Filis. You can see that I ran my Marins forward, taking cover behind the well.... well, three of them got taken out but they were a fantastic distraction that kept my objective-scoring Militia in good health!

Another view of things after six turns.

The scenario is just six turns long, so we added things up. We were tied on strike points - 2 and 2. Mark had killed more of my troops so he earned the victory on kills. We both rather enjoyed the game and got a good feel for the mechanics and flow. I was a bit disappointed that we never got into a melee, but that gives us something to hope for next time! We did not use our leaders for anything besides decoration, so next time around we'll be sure to leverage their skills and abilities.

Comments

  1. Atmospheric and nice report, love the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to get some canoes and boats for some river scenarios with the Indians.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts