A Bit of the Old Star Wars

Chore day at the in-laws turned out to be a bit lighter than I'd anticipated so Zig and I were able to get in a couple rounds of X-Wing last evening. Ziggy has been experimenting with a broader variety of Rebel ships recently; on the other hand I had a couple lists that I've been kicking around for a while that I wanted to test.

First up was Rebels vs Scum and Villainy.
Didn't get a pre-game picture, but I used three ships I'd never used before. The Shadowcaster and Kimogila (the one furthest back to the left and the tan & purple one closest) both came off a 30% off table at Barnes and Noble a couple months ago. The Punishing One (the large odd-shaped ship) has been in the collection for at least three years and never made it on to the table.

Ziggy had a list comprised of a souped-up B-Wing, a Y-Wing, and two Z-95 Headhunters. The Y-Wing died very quickly - right place, wrong time. It is not represented in the photographs.

My Shadowcaster took a pounding but stayed in the fight. My other two craft methodically crushed the rest of the Rebels without taking any losses.

It was still early, so Zig started putting another group together. I put the S&V ships away and pulled out the fever-dream First Order list "Upsie Daisy."

Yeah, baby! TWO Upsilon-class shuttles! I picked the second one up on Amazon for eight bucks 6-9 months ago. Last night I was able to give it a go. They were joined by a bad-mother TIE/fo pilot who I'd use as a distracting mosquito.

You can see in the back there that my opponents were the Falcon and two X-Wings.

Didn't get a pic, but early into the proceedings, the Falcon got caught by both Blackbirds who hammered the tar out of Han & Co. The TIE nestled in behind the Falcon to provide that irritation as well. It worked beautifully.

I managed to catch up with the Falcon on a couple more occasions, just brutalizing the thing.

Look ma! X-Wing go BANG! The other Shuttle snap-turned and caught the Falcon by surprise, smashing the freighter and leaving it with a single hull point. The game ended moments later as the Rebel group evaporated.

The pair of Upsilons worked so much better than I'd imagined. I had very low hopes but if you pay attention to their actions and how things are unfolding / will unfold they are very usable. Coordinate and Reinforce, actions I NEVER use, are terrific especially when combined with upgrades like Advanced Sensors that allow you to take your action BEFORE you move and Pattern Analyzer that allow you to take your action BEFORE checking for pilot stress. I'll give this list at least one more go against another opponent - it was that much fun to play with. I don't often use the same group more than one time.

Comments

Popular Posts