Zig and I finally got around to putting Maurice on the tabletop Saturday afternoon. The whole project has been months in the making. I've been interested in it since Kaptain Kobold started featuring it on his blog. Of course, just being interested isn't usually enough for me to move on a project. It wasn't until I re-watched The Adventures of Baron Munchausen for the umpteenth time some time over the summer that I decided that the armies of Reason and the East needed to be put together and made to fight in miniature.
Being a first time for each of us, and being quite a bit different from the usual fare, the first few turns were pretty tentative but we caught on quickly enough.
What a good game! For a "first play" the game ran very well and there were notably few rules mistakes or troubles. Now that we both have a better grip on things, the next go 'round should be even better. Obviously we could do for some larger armies. Those will be forthcoming. I'm currently out of 1.25" bases and need to order some. I do have models though - two more regiments of Ottomans and I can pretty well double the size of the European army with the unpainteds I have for them. What we've got now is perfectly fine for learning Maurice though. I need to work on flags for the European infantry. They look just a bit too plain out there right now.