Infinity - The Do-Overing

So a month and a half ago Ziggy and I got to talking about Infinity. We'd given it a try years ago but it didn't stick for whatever reason and I hawked my collection. With my recent Batman minis pickups and scenery enhancements, combined with my need to buy and paint toy soldiers we decided that Infinity should make it's way back on to the table. Deciding on a team was a multi-evening affair as a waffled between Nomads and Ariadna Frenchies. I decided on the Ariadna force and picked up a starter box and some other goodies to bulk up the numbers a bit. I had a few weeks to get the assembled and painted while Ziggy was galavanting about Europe with the Air Force. Saturday evening, we put Infinity back into the rotation.

Ziggy's force being smaller than mine was the points benchmark so I matched him. We set up a battlefield with enough clutter to be useful and played a straightforward shoot-em-up to re-familiarize ourselves with game mechanics.

Metros, a Zouave and a Para-Commando (the guy with the machinegun)

Briscards - a sniper, medic and trooper

And the boss lady.

The battlefield. The goal was to find shot opportunities and keep the Pan Oceania forces on their heels.



Things heat up on the rooftops.

We heard something... better watch the alley.

The pud with the Spitfire was causing too much trouble so Souffle was sent up to silence it. A rocket  streaked across the street and the gunner was taken out! He then got to work on a rifleman with a quick accurate burst from his assault pistol.

I had sent my Moblot out to the left to flank the two Knights who'd made it across the street. She blasted both with her shotgun, but didn't fell either. One of the two ran towards her and in short order my Lieutenant had been knocked out.

Ziggy attempted the same trick again but the Briscard's aim was true and the Knight fell with a crash.

Souffle was sent to put out the remaining fire - the Knight who'd cut do the Lieutenant. A quick hustle around the corner and another remarkable burst from his trusty assault pistol and the Knight was taken out.

We called the game there - we'd each taken five casualties and it'd been a couple hours or so. The game was slow going with lots of referring back to the rules about this that and the other. Regardless, it was a damn fine way to kill an evening. I rather enjoyed having to go to extremes to silence the Spitfire gunner - it was one of those fun memorable moments - swatting the fly with a sledgehammer. It did get the job done though - the medic was never going to get ol' Humpty Dumpty back together after that!

I think that during my previous experience with Infinity, I had the wrong idea of what it was supposed to be. I expected a quick and tidy skirmish - maybe something between Song of Blades and Necromunda. Batman and to a lesser extent X-Wing kind of opened my eyes to these skirmish games. It's not supposed to be a quick-play skirmish, even though each player only has a few models. It's supposed to be a full-featured 2-hour game with loads of detail. It's the opposite of Dystopian Wars or MSH which have tons of models and little for each detail. Both take a similar amount of time to play but focus on different things. I'm glad I've given it another chance.

I'll do a photo spread on the troops one of these days. I just picked up three more to round out a 300-point force.

Comments

Popular Posts