Rapiercon 2019 - Saturday Frostgrave

After a terrible night of not enough sleep, we convened for breakfast then headed over to the game hall for Frostgrave.

I used my Pink Ladies party. I had taken two with me since David hadn't time to get one together. He chose my Orks. I didn't have much preference either way and was quite happy with the way the Pink Ladies operated.

David's Orks. Lee (one of Mike's Waycross buddies) set up the table and scenario.Nominally, it was a "Well of Dreams and Sorrows" scenario, but with a ton of wandering monsters to keep us occupied.

The 3x3 play area way completely dominated by the enormous table. We all agreed the humongous "gutter" around the play area was the best thing ever since we had copious space for the gaming accoutrements that normally end up on the floor, another nearby table, etc.

In the early going, I sent half my group after a nearby Uruk. We needed some breathing room!

Meanwhile, Daphne and some others went right to deal with another Uruk. Daphne is the group's Wizard (an Enchanter, in pink).

My apprentice threw a Wizard Eye out next to the well-defended-well. I had hoped to start lobbing Grenade spells from it!

The obligatory selfie group shot.

As it turned out, thus Uruk seemed to be Darth Maul in disguise because it took five of my gang to get a hit on him! The player to our left was in charge of rolling "monster" dice against us. I felt pretty good about having Mike and his traditionally truculent dice to my left. As it turns out, the man only rolls seventeens and higher when he's representing the side of evil!

Eventually, we were able to smite the foul creature and concentrate on gathering loot.

My kills. I also got out with two treasures. David was the big winner. He scored three treasures (maybe four?) and was the only one of us whose wizard made it to the pool for a drink!

Frostgrave was a nice, low-stress game to kick off the day. We had lunch/beer then got ready for Star Fleet Battles.

Of course while we were doing our thing, there was plenty of other activity including this nice looking game of Gangs of Rome:


There was also an impressive table of Battletech stuff being assembled:
The real shame of that was that it was scheduled to start at 9:00am. The disorganizer didn't even show up until around 9:30 and wasn't done putting it all together until perhaps 11:00! He had a handful of very patient players, but while I was setting up SFB around 1:30, they'd only completed a single turn of movement and had broken for lunch. Then, crime of crimes, they had a lot of unpainted mechs on the table! I joked that they were fighting for control of a paint factory. I felt very good about playing FG and not Battletech as I had initially planned.

SFB will be in the next post. It was without a doubt one of the best/most entertaining games I've ever witnessed. It was Star Trek 2, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Blazing Saddles all rolled into one.

Comments

Popular Posts