2020 Gaming Goals (and 2019 reflection)

Haha. Like there is such a thing. Here, let me announce my plans for how I'm going to goof off next year.

Honestly though, there are a few things I'd like to make happen sooner rather than later, hobby-wise.

1) Play a game with those 20mm Napoleonics I've been working on and collecting. I've got enough done for a very small into game which would scratch the itch. I've got enough infantry in the wings to make it a much more interesting affair. Goal - First Quarter.

2) At least four more games of Batman miniatures. Once per quarter is doable, right? The games have been darn entertaining and the narrative campaign has been fun to keep alive.

3) Play Sabre Squadron at least once, either 6mm or 15mm. It's a good candidate for Memorial Day.

4) Play Modern Spearhead at least twice. I don't think it made it on the table at all in 2019. Truly sad.

5) Get in a game or two of Dystopian Wars. Zig, David and I discussed it but have yet to make it a reality.

So, where did it all go off the tracks in 2019? Well, Ziggy and I spent a good bit of time focusing on Infinity and X-Wing. I don't regret it at all. Infinity has been a great learning experience and now that we're more familiar with the nuances, it's a really good tactical skirmish. X-Wing is just fun, plain and simple.

Another tabletop distraction has been Dungeons and Dragons. Again, no regrets at all and I think (hope) we've got another session lined up for Saturday. If that falls through, maybe the minis will hit the table?

My best accomplishment for 2019 has been the Skirmish rules I developed for my X-Files game. They're simple and supremely functional! It's about as close to a Holy Grail system as I've cobbled together in ages. Everyone has their own ideas about "perfect" game systems and I think I checked all the boxes with SKIrmish:

1) No repetitive dice rolls - none of that GW-style HIT, WOUND, SAVE bullshit. One die = one result.

2) No nitpicking - do 45 degree arcs and fractional inches make games fun? F*** no! They make them nitpicky and give certain types something to wallow in. Nothing wrong with a range ruler, man.

3) Not in the rules, make it up - Oh what, you want to hotwire that car or create a distraction? Discuss with your level-headed opponent and make it so.

Another high-point was the Rate of Fire games played with Ziggy and then re-run at Tanksgiving. It's awesome to see a scenario play out excellently twice in a row. Both games we nail-biters and a complete blast.

Alright y'all, I'm out for now. Have a safe New Year's Eve and a wonderful 2020!

Comments

Popular Posts