Danger Zone! 2 - Old School Flying

It's been a little long between new posts on the ol' blog here. I haven't been idle, except in the picture-taking and game-playing departments which are kind of critical to my blog. I had intentions of playing DW with Ziggy but Saturday morning came down with some nasty bug and was out of service for the rest of the day.

I felt OK Sunday, so Junior and I made good on an invitation to the LGS to play some Wings of War. Christian enjoyed the game a lot at Gnomecon so he was excited about it. WoW is a cool game and I've enjoyed it every time I've played but it is just so damn expensive - $15 per plane is a big bite. Its the same with X-Wing and the new Star Trek miniatures game - the price per ship is high. That being said, I'm always up to play with someone else's toys.

Ian put together a scenario which we trimmed down a tad - each side would have two bombers and two fighters and needed to destroy enemy ground targets. There were five ground targets on each side, two of which were AAA bunkers, one with a 135 degree firing arc and an "A" damage gun and one with a 360 degree arc and a nasty "C" damage gun.

Ian and I took the Royal Flying Corps while Christian II and Mike took control of the Hun Air Force.

Here's the set-up and our basic plan
Our bombers were to skirt down the edge of the board, and be out of arc of the "A" battery when they got the their target zone. My fighter was going to get in the way of the German bombers and try to slow them down a bit and possibly do some harm. Ian was also going to harass German bombers.


After a couple turns of movement. My fighter is starting to look a little lonely.

But not for long as I misjudge everything to do with flying a plane and end up in the rear arc of both of the Kaiser's bombers.

One ill-advised move later and I'm down to having just one plane to worry about. Done in by my own kid.

My driving with "Mean Green" was much better and I managed to evade both batteries on my approach. Ian's #5 brown bomber caught some flak but got very fortunate and kept drawing 0's and 1's for damage. Mike's triplane attempted to harass us but took a good chunk of damage so he was hesitant to push the attack.

The German bombers start to get lined up while Christian's and Ian's fighters wander about aimlessly.

Ian managed to bomb one target off the map while I took out one target with a bomb and my tail gunner got a lucky hit on the "A" battery and silenced it! 
Ian tempted fate one too many times with the "C" battery and was relieved of his bomber. I wasn't planning on making a second bomb run, but decided "why the heck not?" and spun my crate around for another go.

Another well-lined up run. The "C" battery is wiped out and my plane finishes off the rest of the targets. What a haul!

Before it was done, Ian's fighter finished off Mike's triplane. The AAA defending our ground targets was terrific and accounted for both German bombers (plus the little damage I caused to one of them!)

The final tally :
Allies - 3 aircraft and 5 ground targets
Central Powers - 2 aircraft and 1 ground target

Even though that was rather lop-sided, it was a fun scenario and showed us all how rusty were are with the rules. We're going to play again in a couple of weeks.

I'll get some painting pictures put up this week too!

Comments

Popular Posts