Naps - Finally A Game!

Way back on November 9, 2016 I stumbled upon some very inexpensive 20mm Napoleonic French infantry miniatures. Over the intervening three and a half years I added artillery and cavalry, as well as an opfor in the form of Prussians. I've finally got enough painted for what I consider a proper game. Mr. Mark joined me yesterday afternoon  for a first outing with the one of the all-time pillars of tabletop wargaming - rank and file Napoleonics.


The engagement was nothing specific - just two evenly matched forces to help us wrap our heads around the rules (Rank and File from Crusader). The battlefield was set up with a wide open area in the center and some bits of terrain on the edges.

I deployed my infantry and cavalry in columns to get into the center of the battlefield quickly. I've played enough "troops block" games in my life to know that you want some space between your fleeing troops and the evil "edge of the table."

Pretty horses all in a row.

A long line of Prussians.

Mark commences the slow roll forward of the Prussians. I had my cannons positioned to provide wide open lanes of fire in the early going.

My cuirassiers were on top of the Prussian infantry on my right flank in no time!

Meanwhile, my musketeers had reached the center(ish) and redeployed in line formation.

The French cavalry crash into their enemy!

Gratuitous low-angle shot

And another.

A good view of the battlefield. My horses are in deep kimchi having pushed back the infantry. They're now lined up perfectly for that cannon! Merde!

Before they disappear, the cuirassiers at least manage to run off the infantry they'd been battling. Le Huzzah!

I continue to press the issue and now our infantry is within musket range. Casualties start mounting for both sides. The Prussian lancers on my left are still threatening.

My cavalry retires.

Just as the timid/cautious Prussian commander commits his horsemen to the fight!

They take a severe mauling from cannon fire (left edge) and muskets but still hit hard enough to push my troops back.

Yeah baby! REVENGE.

We're done. Bon chance! 

One of my wrecked infantry battalions charges a lone Prussian gun. Desperate times, right?

Prussian horse ride off.

At the end of that turn, the game was called. We removed all casualties and this shot shows what was really left. The two units circled in yellow had broken morale and are essentially wiped out. The Prussians had a single half-strength infantry block on shaky morale. My French were spent.

What a blast! We both had a terrific time. We did a few things wrong, but nothing that affected the game significantly. It always happens. I'll probably tweak a few things with R&F for the next game - particularly morale - once a unit is on the slippery slope, it's too hard to recover. Perhaps commanders will rectify that but we'll find out next game - those models are in the painting queue right now. I have enough lead for one, maybe two more French infantry units. I'm excited to keep this going.

Comments

  1. Great post, Ski! Rank and File are a fun set of rules and your troops look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! There really is some magic to having big blocks of toy soldiers all lined and ready to go.

      Delete
  2. Excellent; I am so glad you both had a good time with the game!
    I had never heard of these rules (are there as many Napoleonic rules as there are players? Sometimes it seems that way!), but a quick search turned up a pdf and summary on Wargames vault.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very happy with Crusdaer's Rate of Fire WWII game which is much of the reason I went to Rank and File. Both games seem to target someone with my gaming taste - enough historical accuracy to feel right but maintaining a fun, approachable style.

      Delete
    2. Nothing wrong with that approach at all!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts