Gaming Space

 A new reader commented the a few weeks ago about my big game table; how it's put together, etc. I've thought about doing a post about that for some time and his comment kind of gave me the needed push. David and I played a game of Check Your 6: Jet Age yesterday and I took pics of the kitchen / dining area and how things get done when I game.

Typical 6 1/2 days a week mode.

Step 1 - rotate the secondary table. Ensure there's plenty of clearance for the fridge to open.

Move / center the dinner table and add Door Number One!

Door Number 2...

The centers and tops have been clearly labeled. This is important later.

And this is why it's important to have the tables laid out properly.

Homemade pegs and these snazzy metal brackets keep things held together while in use.

Now that the table is more or less hinged in the center, less attentive players will be inclined to rest their big sweaty stupid elbows on the edges, popping the center up enough to tip models. Normally that's not a big deal but it really is the only drawback. Dumber players will often times lean on the table edges like this Gen-Z person:
This is not encouraged at my gaming table.

Pegs, game mat... ready to rock! 84" X 72" has been nice and the "gutters" around the edges are lovely for dead minis, dice, rulers, paperwork.... you name it. The doors store pretty easily in my garage and are hollow so they're light weight and easy enough to move around. There's not tons of space on the edges for players but I've hosted groups of 6 and 7, so it's plenty fine. Be well and have a great week. I'll post the CY6JA AAR soon.

Comments

  1. this is an excellent idea. It turns any 6x4 into a 7x6 in a pinch. Perfect for "mega games" when you just need to put all of Antietam on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. door panels are great because they come in so many sizes and are both light and rigid

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great. There are ways you can reduce the tip factor, though. You can replace those brackets with a couple 2’ or 3’ pieces of flat steel bar. Carefully drill a hole1” from each end and 2” on each side ofthe center of each bar (4 holes total in each bar). Get them exact and they will be interchangeable. Drill matching holes in the door ends and add 4 pins, and the doors will be locked flat. You can also get some cheap folding table leg assemblies from various places. Add one at each of the outside corners of the door-table and it will prevent someone from tipping the whole thing over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The longer "joiners" sound quite doable. It's never been enough of an issue to look for a better solution but yes, the longer brackets sound like they'd do the trick. Good idea about the folding legs, but they'd torpedo the easy flat storage situation I've got with the plain doors.

      I have toyed around with cinder blocks underneath the table legs to spare myself lower-back pain during extended gaming. I may give that a go for our Memorial Day game-a-thon.

      Thanks much!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so very much for the details Ski! Much appreciated. I'm going to have to give it some thought and play around with your ideas so I can expand my table for more players. (Going to have to move things into the living room for that. Fortunately my Wife is both understanding, supportive & tolerant!) I particularly like your 'gutters' ~ 'cause I hate having extraneous stuff cluttering the table.
    Rather than cinder blocks, look for bed risers. Cheap, fast & easy to set up & take down, & available in different heights. Interesting view when you're sitting & they make a world of difference comfort wise when you're playing an all day game with friends.
    Actually, now Bill's idea of folding legs just rang a bell. You could use a set & attach them to 2X4s to make a trestle to support your table. Easy to fold up to stand in the garage, or four bolts to take apart. Just riffing on the idea for my own possible use.
    Thanks Again for sharing your Great Idea!
    ~ Tom T

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts