Another D-Day Anniversary, Another Beach Battle

 Mike hosted a D-Day themed Bolt Action day at his house last weekend and although I went in with reservations about Bolt Action, it's about the experience, not the game, right? There were ten players and two tables set up. One table was set up for the the skirmish at Brecourt Manor, made famous in the TV series Band of Bothers whereby Captain Winters and a platoon of US Paratroopers takes out an artillery battery. The other table was a small slice of Omaha Beach. I played on that table.

Mike, Wayne and I commanded shares of the American force. Two fellows I hadn't met before shared the German contingent. Their names are Mark and Brent(?)

Ah, there are our opponents! Mark in plaid.

Miraculously, three tanks arrive immediately and safely! This isn't the D-Day we've read about. The American dice would remain hot.

A terrific 28mm scale bunker and trench section made by Mitch. Mitch drove up from Jacksonville. I actually met him back in February at the Bold City Con pop culture convention. He's a primary organizer for RapierCon's successor Skirmish which will be held in Jax next March.

Getting up close, using the tanks as cover. The German mortar was remarkably accurate all day.

The German artillery battery at the other table was still operational and it got in on the festivities. rounds land amongst a machine gun section, infantry platoon and a tank!

Our biggest problem, by far.

We get troops, tanks and importantly bangalore torpedoes up to the wire. Machineguns and artillery continue to slow our efforts.

Ah, there's Mitch in the OD t-shirt. Mike's hand makes an appearance in front of Wayne, saving my readers from the horrors beyond the hand! Mark naps.

Wayne's are the first troops past the wire! That obscured Stuka wasn't really part of the game. The Germans were just terrorizing us with it.

The pressure is squarely on the defenders now! My shots at the right side of the defenses are shockingly effective and I steadily whittle their numbers down. The left side however is still intact, completely intact, 100% intact. NO German casualties at all over there!

The phrase "shit's about to get real" is uttered.

Plenty of Yanks up the wall and into the trench network. GAME OVER, MEIN HERR!

It was certainly an enjoyable afternoon of dice and toy soldiers. Thanks to Mike for hosting and to everyone else who provided minis, terrain, etc. 

I'm not sold on Bolt Action. It's the second time I've played it, the first being at least five years ago. It's just weird and bad. I won't get into a nitpick. It's just not my cuppa. I'll stick with my Rate of Fire for this scale of WW2 gaming. Be well and Good Gaming!

Comments

Popular Posts