X-Wing: 2.0 Debut

It's been inevitable for the last three+ months, since i received the X-Wing v2 set at Christmas. Yesterday afternoon David and I finally had a chance to put version 2 on the table in a meaningful way with full squadron builds. A few weeks ago we did try the game out with the basic contents of the starter kit, but that's not quite the same thing. We have both plunked down for conversion kits - I went with my Scum and Villainy guys while David is still wearing his Stormtrooper uni.

This is what I put together - a couple of upper-tier heavies with a Firespray and IG-88 plus a Y-Wing that was more of a curiosity than anything. I doubt I've ever fielded a Y-Wing without a turret.

Scumbags assemble! The Firespray and IG are on the new-fangled medium bases.

The Imperials (two Interceptors and a Punisher with gobs of ordnance) truck it down the left flank. I'm going to have to re-arrange quickly to react without getting massacred.

A bit of twisty-turny later and Frosty is able to cash in an Interceptor. Her rear-arc attacks are much more dangerous than the front ones. There's a diet / GI tract joke in there somewhere.

And shortly, I caught the Punisher in a crossfire with the Y-Wing and Aggressor. Scratch one Pun.

So then the game turned into a fox hunt. My three space whales wheeled it on around to track down the super-quick and nimble lone Interceptor.

But it wasn't long before we had him locked down. He ended up behind the Firespray at range 1. It's really just a bad place to be.

The game was 120 minutes - that included a couple of scans through the rule book to check on some new mechanics. I was very happy with my ships, although I'd like something a bit quicker to replace the Y-Wing. It just couldn't keep up with the rest of the ships on the table. David showed that the Interceptors got the improvements they desperately needed. Previously they were very pretty one-hit-wonders; now they are very strong arc-dodgers able to play with anyone. After the game David tweaked his list to something altogether much scarier, replacing the Punisher with a Decimator. Looking forward to that meeting!

Comments

Popular Posts