Debased

I took a stab at the 6mm fantasy miniatures rebasing today. I was most concerned about how I was going to get those little mothers off the plywood bases. The models are thin and bendy and the bottoms of them are thin, not easily pried off the base. I needed a chemical answer, and not just gin and tonic.

So, for anyone who needs to do it, acetone makes re-basing miniatures less irritating. After a little internet research, it was decided that acetone might be worth a go. I took the boy to the mall earlier so I grabbed a bottle of the stuff while we were our for $3.00 First go around, I used an old paintbrush to apply it. No luck at all. I tried again but this time with a much more liberal application and two heapin' scoops of patience.

I used a glass medicine dropper to soak the bases and gave it three or four minutes. By that time, most of the Dark Elves were easily pulled off the plywood. 

Bam! Some stragglers were left. A bit more juice and one play through of Led Zeppelin's Battle of Evermore and they were released from the stand's ligneous embrace.

The tools of the trade

Thirty Dark Elf swordsmen looking for new bases.

I'll get in an order with Litko when I return from vacation and work on the whole collection.

Comments

  1. What were they glued to the original bases with?
    If white glue (PVA), soaking in water op to the knees with a drop of soap usually works.
    Acetone is nasty stuff to work with! I don't miss that part of Organic Chemistry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minis were attached with CA- standard super glue. As well all know, it can be a real hassle some times!

      Delete
    2. Ouch; when applied to two large opposing flat surfaces, breaking that bond is a bear!

      Delete
  2. As long as there isn't a lot of ventilation, the method you used is the best. Happy rebasing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts