AAR: The Crunge*, A Barbarossa Skirmish

 * Apologies to Led Zeppelin

 Ziggy and I got together for a game of Rate of Fire on Saturday evening. It's been a while since it's been on the table but it's always a good time. My early war Barbarossa vehicles haven't made it on the table yet so this was to be their rookie outing. 

The Germans (Ziggy) had to advance down the road and secure the bridge while the Soviets (me) had to prevent its capture. The Russians started with three infantry squads and an AT rifle while the Germans started with two infantry squads and a light infantry gun towed by a truck.

In the early couple of turns we both just advanced into position as safely as possible. The truck towing the gun made haste up the road and the gun was deployed quickly.

A good view of the early going. I needed to get the AT rifle into a better spot.

One of my reinforcement units showed up in the early goings, a BT-7.

But it was not alone, a Pz38t also made an appearance.

It wasn't long before the German tank shot up the wooden farmhouse I had run a squad into! Eight of the ten guys were knocked out in no time!

Elsewhere on the table, our infantry groups exchanged fire and generally speaking I came off better, nickel and diming the invaders with one kill here and there.

A general downturn in mood for the Soviets as a second Panzer arrives. Not pictured: a halftrack with an additional infantry squad also arrived.

The BT is going to have to make a mark.

Like knights in a tournament, the tanks square off.

My shot sails past the near Panzer while both return shots connect, exploding the BT!

It doesn't improve much when the German squad in the woods and trailing Pz38 get some quality hits on my squad in the back. They immediate bolt! On the plus side though, the AT rifle gets a good hit on the tank, killing the driver!

Finally I get the rest of my reinforcements, a second tank and assault engineers. I probably should have brought the engineers in sooner since they have demo changes and could have blown up the bridge. as it was, they would be doing a lot of late-game running!

I had to contest the bridge, so the nearest squad threw caution to the wind and moved close. The Germans had a pile of infantry on the other side!

A good view of the battlefield. Not many Russians left!

They're all kicking it over here in the Dead and Injured box.

German accuracy is on point and the infantry gun and one of the tanks makes quick work of my squad by the bridge.

The BT actually hits the Czech tank but it does no damage and the crew's morale remains steady. The AT rifle gets a good hit too, bu ti also fails to damage! The Panzer's shot however brews up the second BT. Curses!

After nine turns, all I had left was the assault engineer squad and they were content to leave the same way they arrived. The battle was a solid victory for the German side.

That was enjoyable evening's gaming. Win or lose, it was a lot of fun. I really should have pulled the assault squad as my first reinforcement, they might have been able to pop the bridge. As it was, I was lured by the promise of armor and guns and it did not pay off. For my other two reinforcements to arrive so late in the game was a real killer for me. Ziggy played well and I don't think he made any mistakes that mattered. Looking forward to the next for sure. Be well and good gaming!

Comments

Popular Posts