23 December 2022

Scratch Building

 In the interest of keeping the Stargrave campaign chugging along, I've found that some of the scenarios have some implied terrain requirements. The "Fire Moon" scenario looks like a good candidate for our next outing so I've begun work on making some suitable bits. 


This is of course the implied mental image we'd all have with such a setting. Very iconic, very dangerous and not just a little bit awesome.

The scenario requires an "X" of lava floes corner-to-corner on the tabletop. I'll accomplish that cheaply and easily with long strips of orange fabric. I'm not going to go gangbusters on lava-like rivers that will very rarely see the tabletop. Being Stargrave, there needs to be a lot to hide behind. To that end I got cracking on some foam rocky outcrops and "plateau" hills last evening with the hot wire foam-cutter. 


And after maybe 90 minutes and some probable brain-damage from the fumes, voila! Four bits that should work nicely. The larger bits have caves cut into them because that's fun. I glued sand to upper surfaces to give them a bit of texture

I tested some scraps with spray primer I had and the insulation foam didn't immediately disintegrate, to might delight. This morning I hit the two smaller pieces with a coat of primer - we'll see the results when I get home and I'll blast the two larger pieces at that time. 

  Because I was in a productive mode last evening, I also knocked out some homemade "Magmites," the aliens present in the Lava Moon scenario. A few red pipe cleaners glued to some old cardboard counters/markers, a dark gray spray coat and pale orange drybrushing and bam, job's done. 


Since they live in magma, I figured eyes and antennae would be useless. They're wormy and monstrous and will certainly get the job done!

More pics as things progress. Merry Christmas if I don't post again very soon!

2 comments:

Viking Terrain Bits

Since the playtesting lest weekend, I've been steadily working on a couple of bits of scenery for the games at Southern Front. I started...