Dragon Rampant - The Shaming

My wife and I played a bit of Dragon Rampant on Saturday. It's a great low-intensity escape that always makes for an entertaining time. My wife is a big fan of the deceased and asked for an army of "big things" so the Skelephant, Bone Griffons, Chariots and skeletal wolf riders would do nicely. I cast my lot with the Romans - they're a pretty straightforward bunch who are solid and reliable. We played the "Sacred Mole" scenario in which one side attempts to carry a McGuffin from one corner of the table to the opposite corner while the opponent tries to steal the item and do the same.

Caroline began play with the Sacred Mole.

My warband on a cold desolate battlefield. Solid heavy riders, heavy and light infantry (both with Offensive) and an elite riders commander.

Early on, my commander gets a visit from the wolf riders. They'd have been been off shooting and scooting, but some lessons are only learned by experience. Two of the little guys were struck down and my commander lost a strength point.

Of course, I get drawn into something I may not be prepared for... wild charge takes ahold! I did manage to smash one of the chariots carrying the Mole.

My cavalry hasn't been entirely lazy and arrives in time to relieve a bit of pressure on the commander! Get those winged things, lads!

All the combat really starts to add up for my boss man. He's half strength and fighting the skelephant!

The Griffons grab the box and make haste!

My cavalry fall a bit short of being able to smash into and destroy those little riders. This would eventually prove to be a critical turning point.

Caroline uses all her available resources to stop me from being able to pursue the griffons. The skelephant crunches into the cavalry.

And the remaining chariot takes a run at my commander. They wipe each other out!

My very slow heavy infantry finally make it into the game and take a run at bone mountain.

A bit of damage and a miserable courage roll results in a dead monster! Woo hoo!

My spearmen are going to have to play goalie. The griffons are easy to read, I just have to get in their way. You can see that my heavy infantry have fallen just short of smashing the wolf riders. That's twice now I've been an inch or less away from being rid of those things!

The gauntlet.

It wasn't long before they came to blows. The spearmen won the combat and took the box! Huzzah!

But of course the one-hit-point griffon goes all Khan and with its last breath, spits at the Spearmen, running them off and snatching the box! Oh calamity! Oh ruin!

But it wouldn't be Dragon Rampant if you didn't have to dice for actions though. My bride manages to f-up a few rolls.

Allowing my heavy infantry to get within 6 1/4 inches. I uttered some choice words, being a quarter inch off my mark.

My wife then shrieked a curse as her movement roll came up a 3. My infantry would have their day.

Or that was the plan until I botched my roll to attack them. GAAAAAAAAH!

Incredibly, she dorks up the subsequent movement roll! More cussing ensues and I am asked to get her some new dice. Truly, Loki smiles upon us both.

Carve carve, chop chop. Die you rotten bird thing!

Just some high-end heavy infantry and those shady riders left now. A walk in the park...

Until her stupid shoot n scoot bowmen kill a guy. They fail a courage test.

And are unable to rally. Game over.

Those godforsaken wolf riders worked out real nicely for her. They were able to stay away, get lucky and just "hang around" long enough to make all the difference. It worked out even better that they were paired up against the slowest opponent and could easily remain at bay. Needless to say, revenge is in the air and I look forward to a rematch. Maybe this weekend.

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. A lot more than I was expecting from a game of DR, for sure :)

      Delete
  2. Nice looking game with splendid and impressive units!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems a very memorable game!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts