It's just a hobby, right?

I just read someone else's recent blog post and it got me thinking about organizing my gaming habits. Right now, I'm pretty schizophrenic when it comes to purchases. I need to take stock of where I'm at and where I want to go.


Games I Have Played and Bought Stuff For In Recent Memory
Shipwreck
Modern Spearhead
Dystopian Wars
Various Ganesha Systems
Infinity

I'm going to discount Urban War straight away. It's a fine game and I like the miniatures, but it is DOA. Their website and forums are stagnant. They aren't releasing new stuff and it is just out done by Infinity.

Shipwreck - I love the game. It is terribly entertaining. The only drawback at all is availability of miniatures.

Modern Spearhead - I love this one too. It is as good of a "real wargame" as I can imagine. The system suits me perfectly. I want to play more. MSH has the most potential for growth considering the source material.

Dystopian Wars - It's fun, but I'm not enthralled. If I didn't have friends with armies, I'd probably be done with it. I may pick up a model here and there but I'm not going to invest any serious resources into it.

Ganesha Games - Including Flying Lead, Song of Blades and Heroes, Mighty Monsters and MDRG. The system is tight, simple and wide open. I really like the format. It gives me a creative outlet for whenever I feel like painting something a bit out of my ordinary.

Infinity - Very unique system, gorgeous miniatures. Ziggy is interested, which means I should stick with it. I really just need to stick with one faction, as tough as that'll be.


Outlook

Shipwreck - I'd love to pick up more ships, etc. but I have no real direction at the moment so I'm going to hold off on purchases.

MSH - I want to expand my armies. Friday I was pricing and speccing out a Polish Naval Infantry Brigade. I need another battalion of Leopards and some HQ stands to finish off my West German Panzer Brigade. I wouldn't mind expanding the Dutch as well, but since they also use Leopards, it'd simply be a carbon-copy of the Germans in game terms. One of these days I'm going to go in on Arab-Israeli (1973) for MSH, but not just yet. I don't want to let that genie out until I'm content with my 1980's Europe stuff.

Dystopian Wars - No plans to buy anything.

Ganesha - I have some Dark Elves on the way for SB&H and a T-55 coming for FL. No other plans right now.

Infinity - I want to pick up a few more models to round out my force. The game is just oozing with campaign and personalization potential.


So where does that leave me? I need to stop looking at things that make no sense in the grand scheme of things. I think my next major miniatures purchase will be the Naval Infantry for MSH - which reminds me, I need to go inventory my unpainteds - I'm sure I've got a few OT64s, BRDMs, etc. sitting back there. I just got some Infinity guys in yesterday and with the Dark Elves and tank on the way, I'm set for a while. No more new minis for me for at least a month. OK, not till Gnomecon is over.

Anyone want to take odds on that?

Until next time!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts